Local partner – NGO “Promotion of Intercultural Cooperation”
Based on two previous stages conducted in Autumn 2014 – Study of the Existed Situation with Potential Conflicts and sources for their development and in Winter 2015 – Transformation of the existed conflict situations in Odessa region (Prevention gossips as an additional source of a conflict and Interethnic relations on the South of Odessa region), the following proposition is continuing directions, which were recognized as priorities and the most conflict potential.
During two accomplished stages of the “Ukrainian Peace Building School” project in Bessarabia, local activists, journalists, representatives of national minorities were active enough, and had highly appreciated the launched discussion on maintaining of their rights, both like activities on fighting against gossips. Meantime, majority of participants of focus-group researches, seminars and round tables held in Bessarabia, are representatives of elder generations (18 plus). This makes extend target group of the project activities and engage young people as future activists to express their vision of desirable area of living.
- Research with the preparation of recommendation to the local and central authorizes – Information dissemination as a part of the conflict of identities
Main research questions –
- External influence of the creation of the information environment in Odessa region
- From where people in the towns of Odessa region get the information – TV, radio, newspapers, internet?
- What are their main source of information
Method – sociological survey. 800 people. Towns – Izmail, Bolgrad, Kotovsk, Veliko Mikhaylovske, Belgorod Dnestrovskiy. Beneficiary – local and state government working in the sphere of internal politics and information
2. Radio Bessarabia.
Creation of the weekly radio news show (15 min each) with the main national and regional news and local experts comments on Russian, Bulgarian, Romanian and Gagauz languages transmitted one after another at the state regional radio. De-facto it’s one text translated to other languages.
It will allow including local population into the Ukrainian information environment, to facilitate in information dissemination, to explain main governmental decisions and directions of policy important for the local population, to fill the information vacuum which provoke gossips spreading.
3. Trainings for journalists
The local media is developed but of the very poor quality, most of the media are very dependent from the state administrations or other owners. Journalists are lacking expertise to cover other topics than local news.
Three main thematic: How to cover and what it is about:
- European integration
- Local conflicts
6 one-day trainings, each for 10 journalists and editors
4. Documentary open nights:
Outdoor show of the documentaries in districts of Odessa region about revolutions, wars and reconciliation in other countries.
The idea is to show both to what a conflict can lead of not to resolve it, and that reconciliation I s possible. We would like to put in in the international context, so to show that despite uniqueness of Ukrainian situation, every revolution, conflict and reconciliation process have their logic and paradigm, so if others passed it, Ukrainians will also be able to do it.
10 shows, each of 2-3 short documentaries, accompanied by discussions with political scientists, journalists, and historians. Opened for public.
5. Youth essay competition – “Discovering Europe discover Ukraine”
The project aims to boost young people representing national minorities of Southern districts of Odesa region (Izmail, Tatarbunary, Bolgrad, Reni districts) to reflect their perception of Ukraine as modern multi-ethnic state. Through the work at essays reflecting their keen states’ best practices in maintaining of minorities’ rights, their families’ and their own experience, young people are welcomed to highlight their ideal vision of Bessarabia and Ukraine as a part of global world with tolerant interaction. Such kind of essay should unfold different aspects of Bessarabia’s people historical memory and future vision, local and all-Ukrainian identity.
1. To promote youth’s activity for reflections of their local and state identities based on their background from history, law, human rights courses, philosophical vision of their place in the state and in the world.
2. To show how to find their own identity through use of the European values (such as freedom of choice, dignity, respect). To incept and develop the best values and practices of their keen states Target groups
Participants: 15-17 years old high-school
1. Conducting of the contest for the best essay “Discovering Europe discover Ukraine ” based on future vision (September 2015 – October 2015)
2. Engagement of the experts (local schools history and law teachers, officials of the Department of Education of Odessa Regional State Administration, representatives of NGOs, totally – 10 experts) for selection of the best essays
4. Public presentation of selected essays in Izmail, and awarding of the best ones (1 first place, 2- second, 3 – third. Totally – 6)
6 International Round – table “British experience of decentralization”
One day international round-table with invitation of the Ukrainian and British experts discussing the following issues:
What is the British experience in multi-level decentralizations?
What can be used in Ukraine?
Scottish referendum as a democratic way of expressing public opinion (long preparation, debates, official campaign, etc.)
What are the risks of decentralization?
What spheres can be and cannot be decentralized in the state.
Aim: to promote decentralization as a working mechanism to share responsibilities and rights for the regions, but with clear understanding or risks and spheres which should not be taken from the central government to ensure security and stability.
The issue of Ukraine’s decentralization / federalization is considered as one of the potentially conflictogenic, also as that one that brought the serious public debates as a way to destabilize the state. Odessa region is one of those in a risk zone. So the serious discussion is necessary, with wide media coverage on the topic to shift it from purely political manipulative to a pragmatic and constructive.
Download full report in pdf format :